Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Meeting with Max

Click to enlarge image

Over the weekend, my kids and I went to deliver some of the paintings to the East Bay SPCA.  I met with Kendra Adams the Director of Project Development.  She was delighted with the paintings and told me the painting of Max was sold already along with the previous sales of Bingo and Kayla.  

She also explained her intentions of posting a copy of the painting near each kennel and having information that the painting is available for sale.  She showed me the area where they were going to have a display case for my work next to the front desk of the facility.  

You can see the mini easels I donated to her for the art cards I made and she told me she would order more for any other cards I would be painting.  She wanted to confirm the details of my ideas with the art cards.  I had suggested that she could sell the original art card with plastic case and easel for anywhere from $15 to $35 and she could determine the price based her customers.  They also manage another facility further east from the main location.  I had suggested front desk personnel could print out copies of the art cards, have a stamp placed on the back of the card stock paper and have them sell them for $1 to $3.  That way, parents can buy a little something for the children that always visit the shelter.  I am now thinking Girl and Boy Scouts always donate their time or School children have tours, that this would make a nice gift for these children also.  

That leads to me thinking of another idea.  Perhaps they could give them away to anyone who brings in a can of food for the shelter animals.  Who knows what other ideas we [this includes our blogosphere friends] can come up with for this project.

As I and my kids were leaving, I saw a volunteer walking a dog.  I asked Kendra, "Is that Max!?"  She said it sure was.  Max is the sweetest dog. Friendly but not the frenetic and jumpy kind but more of a cool curious type when he met me and my children.  Kendra showed him his portrait but as soon as he realized it was not food, he lost interest.  I guess it will just have to be appreciated by the portrait's new owner.  Thanks for reading!  

12 comments:

  1. Hello, I would like to say what a great peice of work your blog is and I have realy enjoyed reading it.
    If your in the need of wedding photyography or need a portrait photograph in hertfordshire then please have a look at my site.
    I am running some discounts at the moment.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, Sheila! Clever you to figure out how to help and how to keep the help flowing!<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. See how clever you are my Sheila?
    Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Keep good ideas coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met w/ my shelter people today for the first time. The ideas were flying!! We are talking about doing an art show w/ local art groups at the shelter to bring in more $ and peeps. ($10. entry fee for 2 paintings and 20% of any sales)They have the perfect room! Hopefully we can swing it the same weekend in Sept. when they have their pet expo at the Library just down the road. I feel so good about this Sheila! You are an earth angel! xoxo Sandy and the critters

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of giving the shelter the option of copying the cards and making them into postcards with our permission.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are doing such good work, Sheila! I hope all these sweet animals find loving homes. Your work is drawing attention to their plight, spiritartist is absolutely right, you are an earth angel.
    xxoxoooo from me and the piggypugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. stupendous! Things are really rolling along! The easels and art cards are great. big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are full of great ideas! This is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Sheila! Keep it up:o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I love Max! What a great mascot!!

    ReplyDelete