Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mighty Misty

Misty was a founding ambassador for the Pets with Disabilities organization.  This organization is a grassroots program run by a couple  ever since their own German Shepard, Duke became paralyzed one day.  Check out their amazing  website.

Misty died last year and I only learned this after going to their website upon reading an article about their project in Good Housekeeping.    I painted this as a memorial for Misty and plan to send it to Joyce Darrell and Michael Dickerson founders and owners of Duke.

My vision for this project has always been to expand this program to include other rescue organizations such as Equine and Wildlife rescue.  Now one of them is certainly going to include Pets with Disabilities.  Pets with challenges is the main reason I started this program in the first place.

9 comments:

  1. I went to the site for pets with disabilities, I cried. I cried because there are people out there that do this work and have such big hearts. I hope my paintings make a difference some where...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet painting, Sheila, beautifully done. And it's very sweet of you to send them the portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, I love what you are doing here, both with the painting and the beautiful heart you are sharing with these shelters. I am working on my end to donate a portrait and will let you know what I do here. Thank you for working so hard on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a generous act and lovely painting of Misty. Pets with Disabilities looks like a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila, you are a good good person. They will love this portrait. You are so generous with your time and talent. This is a wonderful painting, and project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to add, I echo Lori M's sentiment about the Pets with Disabilities website. Well worth reading the stories of all of those sweeties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift! They will love it. Great project to help disabled animals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME SHEILA! (and the larger image is just the right size!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shiela i love your painting of Misty god there is not one day that goes by that we dont thing about here, we just finished THE MISTY ANNEX building and will be using your artwork of Misty on the plaque to all those who contributed to the building! Thank you,
    Joyce
    Founder
    Pets with Disabilities

    ReplyDelete