Thursday, March 26, 2009

Patience pays off....

Just another update on my working with my SPCA.  I just received an email after not hearing from them for over a week.  I guess they have been working on getting set up for the program all this time.

Some updates:
  • They are going to obtain a display case for my paintings in both facilities.
  • They are setting up training for staff at both facilities to help sell the art, route the funds to the special needs animals and selection of same for the project.
  • They will post prints of the art work by the dog or cat's information  near their kennel or housing area.
  • They are building a webpage on the project and will feature it as the top story on their monthly newsletter that goes out to over 8,000 supporters.

One question she tentatively asked is if I would be interested in doing a commission for one of the staff members for their own pet.  He had seen the work I had already submitted and liked my style. I am absolutely thrilled.  I know staff and volunteers are not rolling in the dough so I said I would be happy to do so and only charge half of my regular commission prices.   

I will keep you informed as to how things unfold.   Hopefully if you're already started and want to explore getting into a deeper relationship with your shelter, you can bring some of these ideas to the staff of your respective shelter.  

I will continue to keep you informed about the developments on my end.

9 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, Sheila:) I've never commented on your blog, but I do know from the little I've read that you've been trying to "unfurl your wings to fly into this new field but still struggling to get out of your cocoon!" Well, I guess you're finally breaking out. And, for a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila and Carrie I have given Art for Shelter Animals an award this blog well deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! Glad to hear the project is going smoothly. It's nice that they are excited and supportive. I'm sure it will be a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news, Sheila! You are really taking flight! I so admire your energy and dedication to giving to others and creating art! xoLiz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with what Liz said - that is very wonderful news, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WONDERFUL!!!!! So nice to "meet" you Sheila. Wonderful site by yu and Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheila, yippeee! Not only is this all just GREAT for you, and the animals and our project, it also can act as a model for other shelters that want to get involved in a big way. For those of us not in big cities, the project is more informal - but still, how great would it be if all the shelters, large or small, took to the project the way yours has!

    I'm so happy for you, and for the animals. And GREAT about the commission - this is a nearly inevitably result of our project, I hope. Also, we got an award! Thank you, dominique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the greatest Sheila. I am very happy for you and Carrie.
    Regarding the commission it is great.
    Happy for you and the animals.

    ReplyDelete