Sunday, May 17, 2009

A good day

Jasmine, by Carrie Jacobson. Oil on canvas, 10x10.
To be donated to the Groton, Conn., animal shelter
as part of the Art for Shelter Animals Project.

Beckum, by Carrie Jacobson. Oil on stretched canvas, 2 inches by 4 inches, with easel. To be donated to the Connecticut Humane Society as part of the Art for Shelter Animals Project.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I had a fabulous time, painting and talking to animal owners at Pet Supplies Plus in Groton, Conn. This is a nice, medium-sized pet store, one of eight in the state owned by the same group of people.

I approached them a couple weeks ago, asking if I could paint there, to get the word out about the project. My stepdaughter Erika and my brother Rand have been pushing me to paint in pet stores for a long time, and Sheila has had a good reception painting in her pet store.

The store manager loved the idea, and suggested that I paint on the 16th. When I said that would be great, and it was my birthday, he asked if I really wanted to do this on my birthday. Sure! I couldn't think of much I'd rather do, really.

I think it was successful, for a first go. People were a little afraid that I was going to try to sell them something, so I ended up approaching them with materials about the project, and that was fine. I'm going to paint there every other Saturday for a few months, so I think they will get used to me.

As an extra, added bonus, I got to meet the talented Lori Rowe, whose dog paintings have graced our blog repeatedly. She and her husband were coming to the area to visit Lori's sisters, and we had the chance to spend a little time together. It was so great to meet her, and her husband and their three lovely dogs.

Finally, my husband's photography portfolio has been accepted for publication by B&W Magazine, a lovely, glossy magazine of, you guessed it, black and white photography. Once a year, the magazine does a portfolio edition, in which it publishes the work of photographers it juries in. Peter will get at least two pages in the mag, and maybe more. Exciting! You can see his work and mine on our newly revamped website, jacobson-arts.com.

I spent much of last week rethinking and redesigning the site, and I'd appreciate any comments, any criticisms, any ideas that any of you have.



5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Carrie!! That does sound like a fun way to celebrate a b'day. I love Jasmine's portrait, and the yellow background is really great. Congrats on your husband's publication in B&W!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl I am SO glade I got to meet you yesterday. I could have spent 6 hours there and stole wouldn't have wanted to leave. It isn't often you feel a bond when you've only met on line! I think we have a kindred spirit. And by the way, if I didn't rave enough yesterday, I loved the paintings. They are always so much better in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Carrie! I love the painting of Beckum. where did you get that unique canvas size?

    I love the fact you got to meet Lori Rowe. Hat's off to you my friend for committing to every Saturday for a while. Maybe you can set up a little poster or easel explaining what you're doing so they won't think you're trying to sell them something. How about a little donation can? It can either go directly to the shelter or to buy more materials.

    I think it was a wonderful way to spend a birthday too. Celebrating how your life has come to a point where you're giving so much to a cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great birthday Carrie and I love Jasmine - the colours you've used are terrific. Well done to your hubbie!

    ReplyDelete