Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daisy!

Daisy. Oil on canvas panel, 11x14. Painted by Carrie Jacobson

Daisy is a Chesapeake Bay retriever who is with New England Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue. This is a group I've never heard of, but it was pretty well represented in our area - southeastern Conn. - on petfinder.com.

Chesapeake Bay retrievers are generally really good dogs. They are sweet and smart and gentle. It sounds like Daisy is a bit of a handful. Here's the blurb from Petfinder.

"Daisy is a 2 year old purebred Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She is very big for her age, and will probably add 10-15 more pounds before she is through growing. Daisy loves human contact, and becomes very bonded to her owner. She needs a very structured environment with an established routine. She does much better with Men, and requires a true Alpha owner. Life as an only dog would be best, cats and older kids a possibility. She is completely healthy, and does know quite a bit of obedience. I am searching for someone who is familiar with the breed, and can give her the attention, exercise, and routine that she can mold to. Please contact me at necbrrescue@gmail.com for info."

I made this portrait of Daisy yesterday at Pet Supplies Plus in Groton, Conn. This was my third time painting there, and while I've had fun and met some really wonderful people, I am not sure this is an effective use of my time or energy, relative to our project.

Art Calendar has accepted a small story from me about the project, but it hasn't run yet. I've written to the editor to see when it will be in and whether I can update it (I wrote it in March). A call for entries was published in the magazine in this edition, though! So, welcome to any new artists - you will be joining a wonderful group here, people making engaging and delightful paintings of animals who need homes.

- Carrie

3 comments:

  1. awwwww... that face is precious!!!! nice painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice painting Carrie -
    I had the same feeling at the earth fair w/ the Burlington County Animal Shelter today. Perhaps we need to concentrate on "ART EVENTS VS. ANIMAL EVENTS". I'll post about my experience later.
    Good night and Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting of Daisy, Carrie! I think you've captured the personality you've described. Congratulations on the upcoming Art Calendar story. That's great!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete