Sunday, January 3, 2010

Teaching Children about caring for our furry friends...





Missaukee County Humane Society

Tracy Greeley has done it again. Please read her amazing note to us.

I know that we already had some exposure for our local Missaukee County Humane Society in Northern Michigan, however I wanted to share this story of more Nothern Michigan heroes. I called McBain High School and spoke with Art Teacher, Connie Morrow and explained the Art for Shelter Animals Project with the hope that she could relay the info to her students. Instead she invited me to be a guest speaker at two of her art classes to explain the program myself. I was hoping to beg their generosity for any work they could complete and donate on their own time. So you can imagine my surprise when Mrs. Morrow turned it into a class project! And the students were so supportive, I heard comments such as, "Does the shelter currently need any volunteers?" and "We should do this project at least a couple of times a year!" They completed watercolor and acrylic paintings as well as color pencil and sketches. I loved watching and listening to these talented high schoolers. Thanks again for such a wonderful idea.

Tracy, thank you for helping to educate the next generation on how good it feels to volunteer and donate for a good cause! I will post more images from this class tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!! I just emailed it to an art teacher friend! I hope this inspires teachers all around the country to get the kids involved.
    W O N D E R F U L . . W O R K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! What a fantastic idea, and wonderful work from the students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I an inspired to paint a portrait of my chocolate lab 4 this project. There is a wonderful Children's Art Non-profit that I am going 2 forward this 2 called ARTS (a Reason to Survive) that this could b a perfect project 4 the kids in their program.

    ReplyDelete