Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lulu

 Lulu
Oil on canvas, 12x12
Donation to the Montville, CT, animal shelter

Animal Control Officer Chris Martel with Lulu and her portrait

Lulu's people abandoned her when she became pregnant. Surely, this was not Lulu's first litter. Chris Martel says that Lulu's teats tell her that the dear old dog has had litter after litter after litter of puppies. Two of those stretched-out, worn-out teats became infected this time, and Lulu has had to have a partial mastectomy.

 But she is as happy and as loving as any dog can be. She's put on a lot of weight, her demeanor has gone from worried to joyful, and her pups are growing up strong and curious and puppy-goofy.

So where have I been, all these months? Writing stories and covering news, events and communities for Patch.com, in the town of Montville, right across the river from where we live.

In fact, if you'd like to see a story about my donating this painting, and about Lulu, click here. There are pictures of the puppies at an early age, and a video when they were about a month old, and another video of three of them just last week.

In addition to Patch, I am keeping up my painting as much as I can, and showing, as well. I have a show coming up in March at the Lighthouse Gallery in Groton. If you are in the area, the opening is March 4, from 5-7 p.m.

I've missed the Art for Shelter Animals Project - and I hope that we can get it going again!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful work!

    Saludos desde Buenos Aires!

    You are invited to visit my little space of Art... http://frenchiesyarts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lulu doit être fier d'avoir obtenu son portrait...
    bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gret blog with great ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful painting, Carrie. Congrats on your show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the idea of donating a painting to help animals in need of good loving homes. Your story has inspired me. I do pet portraits on commission and I'm going to contact our local shelter that our dog came from and offer to do a portrait (or more) for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish all animal shelters could be ran that way. Most shelters are very depressing for people to just walk through. I can only imagine how it is for the animals that have to live there... Something really needs to be done to up the standards of all animal shelters. They have really set the bar, and it's time other shelters follow in their footsteps.

    ReplyDelete